Becoming

Elbert Stannard was born in Westbrook.
At 14, he went to sea.
Returning as Captain in 1872,
he built a proper prideful house.

Later, it became…

The Menunketesuck Inn
The St. Charles Inn
The Olde English Tavern
Holly’s Hotel & Seafood Restaurant

In 1931, Holly’s Barn was added and used as
community gathering place
workforce housing
Kingsley Hall dormitory

In 1971, the Terrible Fire!
The town took possession and considered razing it to erect a new town library
but the property was sold and restored privately
as a personal residence, an inn, an antique shop and rooming house.

Subsequent hard times wrought foreclosure and abandonment until
the property opened in 1991 as the
Captain Stannard Bed & Breakfast Country Inn.

In 2004 & 2005, the inn was completely refurbished inside and out,
the historically correct porches were custom designed and built
and the grounds were landscaped to complete the picture.

 

Gift Certificates! They'll love you for it!

© 2004
138 South Main Street, Westbrook, CT 06498
860-399-4634